- 1 TBS melted lard
- 3 slices coarsely chopped bacon (the thicker & smokier the better; we used bacon from our Snow’s Bend 1/2 hog)
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra, about 1/2-inch thick (use frozen if necessary)
- 2 cups frozen butterbeans
- 1 lb smoked sausage (we used Conecuh Spicy & Hot)
- 2 cups seeded and diced tomatoes (you could peel ‘em also, but I’m too lazy)
- 2 cups freshly shaved sweet yellow corn (or use frozen silver queen)
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chiffonade of sweet basil
Heat the lard in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes. Do not allow the onions to brown. Increase the heat to high, add the okra and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Reduce heat to medium, add sausage and butter beans, and cook 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes and corn and cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the butter and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper and add the chiffonade of basil.