Great during the winter, when you can use frozen okra and sausage.
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 ribs celery. diced
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups sliced okra (about 1 lb)
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Freashly ground black pepper, to taste
- File powder
Saute onions, green pepper, celery, and bay leaves in olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent. Add sausage, and continue cooking until sausage is browned. Add okra, stock, thyme and peppers and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered until okra is done, 20 to 30 minutes.
N.B.: Claire strongly suggests that this should have tomatoes. YMMV.