This is based on a recipe from Frank Stitt’s Southern Table. I used frozen peas instead of fresh lady peas (it’s winter, so sue me!), and used steak instead of tuna.
I cooked the steak like the “Steak & Frites” from Everybody Eats Well in Belgium (basically, pan fried in butter) with a tip from Cook’s Illustrated: heat thick steaks in a 275F oven for 20 mins so they cook more evenly.
- 2 cups (10 oz package) frozen tiny peas
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, and diced
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt (or a little more, to taste)
Lightly peas so that they are soft and bright green, but not mushy. Then rinse in cold water to cool and prevent over cooking. Combine with other ingredients, and adjust salt to taste.